POSITION TITLE: Chief Executive Officer
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
“Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed unless it is faced.” James Baldwin
The Colorado Inclusive Economy movement launched August of 2020. The vision of the movement is to make Colorado the most inclusive economy in the nation; an economy that works for everyone, in particular people of color. Our vision of racial equality in the workforce strengthens both the Colorado economy and its social fabric.
In order to build Colorado’s Inclusive Economy (CIE), we will build a statewide movement of design, intent and action led by CEOs and leaders. We will support leaders through regular facilitation, an evolving resource toolkit and peer support in order to build their specific Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) strategies that align with their overall organizational goals. Leaders who join CIE will spend 12 months moving through a curated learning roadmap with their peers. They will then become members of a larger movement that will collectively set goals for the state, engage in activities to drive towards those goals as a collective and share their company data annually to track progress toward state goals.
Three Pillars of CIE:
- Employers (leadership, recruiting, hiring, retention, advancement)
- The Workforce Pipeline (education, upskilling, reskilling, employment)
- The Larger Business Ecosystems (suppliers, procurement, partners)
Leaders. CIE is a CEO/Business Leader led movement. We support cohorts of leaders through their personal and organizational Diversity, Equity and Inclusion learning roadmap. We provide a brave space for difficult conversations, peer mentoring and the opportunity to catalyze lasting change in an area where progress historically has been limited. In the first year, CIE sets a common “baseline” via its roadmap to then parlay towards a collective commitment to drive meaningful, lasting change for the Colorado community.
Resources. We will provide and maintain the curated resources needed to support cultural and operational transformation. Resources include guides, checklists, case studies, and SMEs who can assist leaders in aligning their DEI and organizational strategies and goals. We will also provide the brave forums for tackling difficult topics and for working collectively to address challenges for both individual businesses and for the broader Colorado community at large.
Metrics and Accountability. We know that what gets measured gets done. Thus, a major focus of our work is to set concrete goals across the three pillars. Members of CEI have made a long-term commitment (5+ years) and they commit to report regularly on shared metrics to ensure that we are marking regular and sustained progress towards Colorado’s inclusive economy.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
The Board of Directors is seeking a business leader to successfully build and scale the Colorado Inclusive Economy movement. This dynamic, entrepreneurial and racial justice leader will accelerate and scale the initial awareness building efforts CIE with a small group of committed leaders into a statewide movement of hundreds of business leaders and visionaries who collectively work towards racial equity in Colorado’s workforce development, hiring, promotion and supply chain practices.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for CIE staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. She or he will be a change agent with experience building and scaling organizations. She or he will be passionate about building an equitable, inclusive economy in Colorado and have a working knowledge of the DEI field at a business and statewide level to inform the development of core programs, operations, and business plans.
We seek a leader with a network of statewide business relationships to build a pipeline of business leaders to join the movement. The CEO will also have significant fundraising and program development/management experience. She or he will be the face of the movement and be able to build community partnerships within Colorado to expand the vision and impact of CIE. She/he will also be responsible for leading and shepherding leaders towards making the commitments and investments required within and across the business community to drive meaningful outcomes for Colorado. It is her/his role to create the unrelenting focus and drive to affect change to create a more inclusive Colorado.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Statewide Leadership & Movement Building
- Be the chief advocate in Colorado recruiting leaders and building awareness around the actions needed at an individual and collective level to build the most inclusive economy in the nation. Create an unrelenting drive and focus to affect change towards creating a more inclusive Colorado. (setting the stage to move from individual company awareness and action to a statewide vision and results for racial equity in Colorado’s economy)
- Develop the year 2 and beyond “roadmap” to accelerate momentum and to scale the effort beyond the first tens of businesses to thousands and thousands of CO businesses. Organizational Management
- Develop a framework of programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, consistent quality of finance administration, fundraising, communications, and systems.
- Actively engage and energize CIE volunteers, board members, event committees, CIE Leaders, the CIE movement, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio of each committee; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for both ongoing operations.
- Build, lead, coach, develop, and retain CIE’s team.
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
Fundraising & Communications:
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support program operations and regional expansion.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities.
Planning & New Business:
- Design and implement the statewide expansion of CIE to include rural as well as urban CEOs/Business Leaders and small and large businesses.
- Begin to build partnerships in new markets, establishing relationships with the funders, and political and community leaders.
- Be an external local and national presence that publishes and communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of the CIE as a model for regional and national replication.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- The CEO will be thoroughly committed to the Colorado Inclusive Economy mission. All candidates should have proven community or business leadership, fundraising, entrepreneurial, program management, and relationship management experience.
- Specific requirements include:
- A track record of effectively leading and regionally and/or nationally scaling a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken a start up organization to the next stage of growth
- An advanced degree or equivalent experience, with at least several years in a senior management role or equivalent experience
- Unwavering commitment to building and sustaining quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams; set and achieve strategic objectives; and manage a budget
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships or very similar experience
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
Women and people who identify as minorities are encouraged to apply.
Salary range: $120 – $150K plus benefits.
Please submit the following to [email protected]:
- Cover Letter
- Three Professional References with Contact Information